Table of Contents
Discover How Drafty Windows Affect Your Energy Bill
Did you know that drafty windows can significantly impact your energy consumption and raise your energy bill by up to 25%? According to the Department of Energy, this can translate to an extra $50 on a $200 energy bill. In this article, we will explore how drafty windows affect your home’s energy efficiency, ways to detect air leaks, and what you can do to address this issue and save money in the long run.
Want to price your windows? Get a >>> Replacement Windows Express Quote
Drafty windows occur when gaps or cracks in the window frame or glass allow cold air from outside to enter your home while warm air escapes. This leads to an imbalance in the indoor temperature, causing your heating or cooling system to work harder to maintain the desired temperature, thereby increasing energy consumption and costs.
Detecting Drafty Windows
Identifying drafty windows can be as simple as feeling for drafts near the window or noticing uneven temperatures in different parts of your home. However, for a more accurate assessment, you can perform a DIY smoke test using incense or hire a professional energy auditor to conduct a thorough inspection.
Solutions for Drafty Windows
There are several ways to address drafty windows and improve your home’s energy efficiency:
- Weatherstripping: Apply weatherstripping to seal gaps around the window frame. This is an affordable and easy DIY project that can make a significant difference in energy savings.
- Caulking: Use caulk to seal any cracks or gaps in the window frame or between the frame and the wall. This will help prevent air leaks and improve insulation.
- Window Film: Install window film on the glass panes to reduce heat transfer and increase insulation. This is a cost-effective option for those not ready to replace their windows entirely.
- Insulated Curtains or Blinds: Add an extra layer of insulation by using thermal curtains or blinds, which can help retain heat in the winter and block heat in the summer.
- Window Replacement: If your windows are old or severely damaged, consider investing in energy-efficient windows. This can be a more expensive option upfront, but the long-term savings on energy bills make it a worthwhile investment.
Get an Express Quote Today
If you suspect that drafty windows are causing a spike in your energy bill, don’t hesitate to take action. Visit us today for an express quote on window repair or replacement services, and start enjoying a more comfortable, energy-efficient home. Click below: